Thursday, February 18, 2010

Recipe Box: Sour Cream Chocolate Layer Cake

There's a funny story behind this cake; as a somewhat experienced baker, you'd think I'd know better....but I guess not.:)  As I was making the cake, I noticed that my grandma had baking powder written in the ingredients and baking soda in the directions....so I wasn't sure which one to choose.  Of course, I did the baking powder, and my cake turned out a pancake.  Well, that went immediately into the trash, and I started over....goodness.  You have no idea how hard it was for me to throw that cake, with all those ingredients, in that trash can....

Anyway, my second cake turned out delicious after I finally got it right.:)  It's actually from my great grandma's kitchen; in fact, my grandma has written down, "From Mother, Winnie Melton."  I'm so sentimental that I had to share that.  Enjoy this recipe; it's truly delicious!

Sour Cream Chocolate Layer Cake

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 eggs
2 squares unsweetwened chocolate, melted
1/4 cup hot water
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

In bowl stir together flour, sugar, soda, and salt.  Add sour cream, butter, and eggs.  Beat at low speed just 'til blended.  Then beat at medium speed 2 minutes.  Stir in chocolate, and add water; stir 2 more minutes.  Stir in vanilla, and pour into pan.  Now, my grandma used one long glass pan for a one-layer cake, but I used 2 round pans for a round, layer cake.  Make sure to grease pans well, and bake at 350 degrees.  When cool, frost with the following frosting.

This frosting comes from the 1969 Betty Crocker's Cookbook that belonged to my grandma, as well.  I doubled this recipe to make a bit more for my layers.

Cocoa Butter Frosting

1/3 cup soft butter or margarine
1/3 cup cocoa
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
About 2 tbsp milk

Mix thoroughly butter and cocoa.  Blend in sugar.  Stir in vanilla and milk; beat until frosting is smooth and of spreading consistency.

Enjoy!  It's a decadent dessert that's filled with all kinds of chocolate happiness.

7 comments:

Unknown February 18, 2010 at 7:13 AM  

I love recipes that are handed down. I was so upset when my Grandma passed away, my aunt threw away her recipe box. That was the only thing I wanted. All those recipes - gone! So sad. The cake sounds really good!

Shana Putnam February 18, 2010 at 8:23 AM  

That sounds so yummy. I have my grandmothers recipes and cookbooks also.

Danielle February 18, 2010 at 9:12 AM  

Yummy. That looks great!

Stephanie February 18, 2010 at 11:12 AM  

I'm afraid I'm still confused about powder/soda and which one does what :-) You'd think I'd know, too. That's where google comes in handy for me! lol!

Sorry you had to trash the first one... :-(

The second one looks YUMMMY! I don't have any sour cream in the house, or I'd make this right. right. now!

I've got a book of some of my grandma's favorite recipes - a cherished treasure for me! I wish I'd had a chance to go through her "recipe cupboard," after she died, though!

extreme personal measures February 18, 2010 at 11:29 AM  

My husband got his grandma's recipe box. He treasures it.

Stopping by from SITS!
Please stop by!
http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/

Jen February 19, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

I love sour cream chocolate cake....yum!

I am following you from FFF on MBC, stop by and visit my blog.

http://www.mommysonlinegaragesale.com

Have a great weekend.

Unknown February 21, 2010 at 6:08 PM  

that looks so yummy! thanks for popping over to party box design!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP