Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Little Boys, Little Men

With today being Wednesday, I would normally post on my chivalry series, but seeing as I have not unpacked my book yet, wherever it may be, I will probably not be posting on it again until next week. It will continue next Wednesday for sure, though.

Today has been an interesting day. We ended up painting the kitchen last night, so we were up once again until 3am.....why do we do that to ourselves? All in the name of color, I guess. I do love the color in the kitchen. It's called Mocha Java. I'll show you a picture after things get more organized so you can see it. I tried to do my writing this afternoon, but I was so exhausted that I fell asleep at my desk, so then I got up, stumbling blindly towards my bed, and I woke up when Jaden woke up from his nap, around 5 or so. Whew! I guess I needed the rest!

Anyway, I said today has been interesting because my seven year old son, Jacob, is growing up.....and not in such a good way, at least that's how I feel right now. He's starting to really ask questions about, ya know, that word.....shhhhhh, sex. No, seriously, it's something that needs to be talked about over and over with our kids, not shushed in any way; Dan and I both feel very strongly about that. Yep, he is, at seven years old! My mind starts to whirl when he starts talking about all of this, and lately, he's been confessing things to us that he thought were bad and he just doesn't understand yet. He has been to the point of crying....which breaks my heart. The first conversation happened right smack dab in the middle of Lowes the other night. Yeah, that was fun! I see a lot of myself in him; I also can see that his heart is tender, which gives me much hope for his future. I just can't believe that the time is already here for "The Talk." I mean, he's only 7!!!! Have I said that enough in this post? Kids just grow up way too fast these days! I remember going through all of this at around age 11 or 12, although curiosity did hit around 7 or 8 now that I think about it.

Anyway, I believe there will be many talks in the days ahead, and I'm so glad that he feels like he can talk to us, and I'm really trying to encourage him that he can talk to us about anything....I just hope that the Lord will give me the grace and strength and the words to say at these times....that He'll give me the energy it takes to have these conversations. It can be very hard after a long day of unpacking and chasing Jaden around the house....but as a mama in the trenches, it's my job and my duty. Now I can safely and understandably say that whoever quoted that "Boys are easy; girls are hard" was totally wrong!!!!!! Boys are not easy; they are definitely not even close to easy....some day these boys will be men, and that is a responsibility that weighs heavy on my heart, in raising them. It's all starting to hit me very much.....I guess maybe this post could actually go into my chivalry series after all. Have a great night!

2 comments:

Jenn June 24, 2009 at 10:31 PM  

Ah, what a sweetheart. I found out at 7. It was kind of traumatic for me, but I think having open and honest conversations (ongoing) will make it much more natural and not traumatic.

I LOVE this book series: http://www.amazon.com/How-You-Are-Changing-Discussion/dp/0570035643....this is the book Ethan used this past year, which we followed with breakfasts out with Chris so they could talk. There are books for all different age groups starting at age 4, I believe. VERY well done, imo.

Hugs to you! I feel your pain.

Mel at Adventures of Mel June 24, 2009 at 10:38 PM  

I will definitely have to check those out! Anything to help right now....whew!:) Thanks so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP