Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Movie Review- Fireproof

fireproof Pictures, Images and Photos

Wow, I haven't been on in a while, and I'm sorry for that, but we've been in Ohio; we are visiting some really good friends from college and kind of getting to know the area a little. We are headed home tomorrow, though, so hopefully, I can get back on track with my blog. I'll have more news to come, but for now, I don't want to say too much.

Anyway, we all watched the movie Fireproof tonight, and I know you've probably all seen it. I've heard so much about this movie, and people have told me I need to see it, that it will change people's lives, more than one or two people. But I have to tell you; while it was a good movie (don't get me wrong there), I am a little disappointed in the way that they portrayed the couple having marital problems. The married couple in this movie were not saved, and while unsaved people do have issues in their lives like this, Christian people do too. Christian people actually comprise many divorces when it comes to statistics and rates. I kind of wish they had made this movie about actual Christian people who were struggling, because it seems that a lot of the Christian movies that are being made now are leading unsaved people to believe that if they accept Jesus and become a Christian, everything is going to be hunky dory. Everything will make a complete turnaround, and that's just not true. When you decide to follow Jesus, things can actually become a lot more difficult because Satan is going to try to wedge problems in wherever he can. Portrayals like this can also lead some Christian people, who are still weak in their faith and still newborn Christians, to become discouraged thinking, "Well, if I'm having this much of a problem, am I really saved?" As Christians, we are still going to sin, no matter what. It's not going to be all rainbows and butterflies.

So, while I did like the movie, I really think that, along with our friends, Nancy and Aaron who we discussed it with after watching tonight, we need to guard against using movies like this to draw unsaved people in. Yes, life is so good with God, and without Him we are truly nothing; but it's not going to be easy; the Christian life is a journey that we have to walk every day with Him, constantly guarding against the Devil's attacks.

4 comments:

Shawna February 11, 2009 at 5:36 PM  

Never thought about it that way. Good point. I went to see the movie by myself and cried and cried. That's how my marriage (being two saved-since-childhood people) looked and still does occasionally today. The movie was an encouragement to me.

Heather and Reese February 12, 2009 at 2:18 PM  

Thank you for your kind comment on our blog. I appreciate it. I also liked your insights into the movie Fireproof, which I haven't seen yet.

Cheers.

~Reese

Rose Casell February 12, 2009 at 3:48 PM  

That is a very good point Mel. . . never even thought of that. :)

sash February 14, 2009 at 9:58 PM  

The principals in this work for the saved an unsaved. ALL marriage problems boil down to 1 thing, selfishness.
They wanted to make this movie not only for Christians, but for the unsaved as well, its a dual purpose
movie. You want the parts that were for the saved to get their marriage right? then you buy the book! The Love Dare and get in the word.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP