Monday, September 22, 2008

Faux Chocolate?

So, last week I went for my weekly trip to the grocery store, and of course, my cravings steered me down that lovely little Halloween candy aisle. Yep, it's that time of year again, the glorious candy season.:) From now through Easter, we will have some of the best candy available to us, which just makes it even more tempting to buy that fattening bag of Hershey's candy. Anyway, I bought a bag of Hershey's Kisses and a bag of Hershey's Minis. What I didn't know, though, is that Hershey's is changing their candy. Did any of you know this? As if we don't have enough fakes in the world, but we have to have our wonderful chocolate candy stripped away from us too?! Hello!!!!! The next morning I watched the Today Show and watched a newspiece on how they have changed their chocolate in all but the Kisses and the flat Hershey's bars; those have remained the same with the ingredient "Cocoa Butter." In their minis and other candies, though, instead of real cocoa butter, they are using vegetable oil. Can you believe that? So, I decided to check it out. I looked at my bags, and sure enough, the minis said vegetable oil, and the kisses said cocoa butter. Keep in mind that the kisses also say "Milk Chocolate," and the minis don't have that on the bag, as the newspiece had said they wouldn't. So, I put them to the taste test; Dan and I both did. The kisses definitely are so much creamier and chocolatey. The minis are just not the same. There is a huge difference! If you don't believe it, try it yourself. Out of all the things to make faux, why chocolate?! Especially Hershey's chocolate, which is supposed to put a smile on our faces? Hmmmmmm..........more like a bigger smile on our hips now!:)

1 comments:

Mary September 26, 2008 at 12:35 PM  

I didn't know that!! On the rare occasion I have Hershey's, it's either the kisses or the milk chocolate bars, so I guess I wouldn't have noticed, but still....unfair!!!!

When I went for a Hershey tour on our 9th grade field trip, they gave each of us a regular sized Hershey bar. My parents went for a tour of Hershey 2 years ago and they gave them 2 kisses apiece. Hershey has been getting cheap. At least I assume that's why the switch from cocoa butter to vegetable oil.

Me, I prefer Cadbury dairy milk bars or the easter creme eggs. So as long as Cadbury doesn't change anything, I'm good. :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP