Monday, March 1, 2010

Motivate Me Monday- Ok, Miss Negativity, Be Gone

In Anne of Green Gables, Miss Stacie always had this quote she would say to Anne: Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it. (I have to add one word...."Yet.") It's fresh with no mistakes in it....yet. At least, that's my motto.

Lately, I've had my days where I feel like the most horrible mama in the world. With both homeschooling and working from home, I feel like some days are a blur, they go so fast. I mean, my kids haven't gotten outside for a few days (granted, one's been sick, and it's been cold, cold, cold); my toddler has been watching way more tv than the "experts" think he should watch; and frankly, I've had my moments where the last thing I want to do is sit down and play a round of the infamous Candy Land or the even more infamous Mouse Trap. (Have you ever tried to put Mouse Trap together? Mouse Trap is so not my friend; in fact, when the name is even said, I cringe inside. LOL) I've even had moments, seconds, where I've done the unthinkable....(gasp)....I've yelled, raised my voice, at them....(Hey, I'm just keepin' it real here; I am soooo not perfect).

Does the fact that I have let my toddler watch Sesame Street and Max and Ruby during quite a bit of our homeschool hours lately make me a bad mom? Does the fact that my kids haven't gotten any sunshine for the past week make me a failure? Does the fact that my kids might not have 3-4 organic fruits and veggies on their plate at every meal make me despicable? Does the fact that I occasionally shut myself in the bathroom just to have a second of peace or sneak a bite of chocolate make me a terrible mother? (I just have to say here that the bathroom is not my sanctuary anymore....it's becoming "the place to be," the proverbial gathering place, the feeding trough for my little natives....need I say more?) Does the fact that I totally lost it trying to teach myself and Jacob origami last week make me horrible?

I've been mulling this over the last few days; I really have. You can ask my dear, sweet husband, as he is my ever faithful, listening ear. I may not feel like a good mom some days, but at the end of the day, when I kiss those 2 precious boys and tuck them into bed and hear the words, "Mommy, I love you," I know I've gotta be doing something right. When my oldest asks me if he can help carry the groceries in, maybe my efforts with him on manners/courtesy lately are finally paying off. When my toddler actually listens to me in the store and looks me in the eye and stops his erratic behavior (granted, it took 3 times, but he finally listened), maybe the efforts to stay consistent are working. Maybe I'm being too unrealistic and harsh with myself.

Maybe this has happened with you. Do you go through each day, feeling as if you can't get anything right? No matter how hard you try, you just feel like you are failing? Maybe it's time to stop judging yourself so harshly, especially when it comes to comparing yourself with other mamas. So what if you need to turn Sesame Street on for a little bit? (I have that puppy set to record on my DVR.) So what if your child doesn't get his organic peas and carrots at every meal? If your kids are loved by you, and they know it....if your kids are learning and growing more and more each day....if you are doing your best, then you are doing a good job, Mama. Don't overthink this motherhood task. Relax, and enjoy the ride (and we all know it's going to be a long, rollercoaster ride). See yourself through your Heavenly Father's eyes, Who loves you more than you'll ever know. Even when we fall, He is right there to pick us up and dust us off, and kick our rears in motion again. I promise you that when you start seeing yourself in His light....being a faithful, Godly, and consistent mama is only going to get better and better because the judgment is gone. You can finally focus on what's important, your children, not yourself.

So, remember, Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it....yet. Give yourself that margin of error; it's ok.:)

For more Motivate Me Monday, visit Sarah at The Fifth Street Palace.

1 comments:

Kaylyn March 3, 2010 at 7:26 PM  

Great post!! I have had those days, I think we are harder on ourselves than our children will ever be =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP