Monday, March 8, 2010

MMM- Clearing the Clutter in Your Life

Last week I wrote about some of my frustrations....don't get me wrong.  I wouldn't trade my job as a stay at home mommy for all the money in the world.  I LOVE being home with my boys....but like any job, there are going to be times when frustrations rise up, and I have to reevaluate the things we are doing to see if I can key it down just a bit.  With Jacob being sick this week, we've been home more (I love days when I can just be home and not go anywhere), and I've had a bit of time to think and reevaluate and reset some things.  

It's so easy to run the rat race every single day, just scraping through the maze of events, not really "getting it" because of all the clutter taking up our lives.
This week has afforded me some real bonding time with my boys, without the added stressors of having to be somewhere, having to get this, this, and this done for school, and honestly, I don't want it to change.  Jacob and I have played many a rousing game of Battleship and Uno, and he's getting to be quite the champion.  Jaden has had many a game of monster chase the baby games, giggling and laughing the whole way.  So, you ask, how am I going to keep the peace and the tranquility that this week, albeit a hard week for Jacob, has afforded us?  I've really taken a hard look at our schedule, and I took the advice of a friend.  I asked God how He wanted me to work out our homeschool schedule.  How does He want it to be?  Then I moved and shifted some things around...for example, by Friday, we are just dead to school, so I decided to make it a fun day with just an hour of core school and the rest fun stuff like art and music and board games for thinking skills.  Jacob loves board games, so he was thrilled with this idea.

Not only with my kids' schedules, but with my own, I'm keeping my work hours to early, early mornings and naptime....possibly a little bit in the evenings, after they're in bed; it depends on what Dan is doing.  I'm also decluttering my blog.  It doesn't look like it now, I know, but I'm rebuilding my blog on Wordpress right now, making it, hopefully, a place of serenity.  It'll still have all the same subject matter, but I do want to have more homemaking articles and things, and it's going to have a very shabby chic appearance.  

This decluttering in my life has been a necessary thing....it's like when you clean out a closet, and you have a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment afterwards.  Once that closet is cleaned out, you can keep it clutter free because there's a place for everything.  That's like life....once you clear the clutter, you have a place for the important things in your life, for the things that God deems important.  What is stopping you today?  What kind of clutter is hindering you from having the joyous walk that is available to you as a wife and mommy?  Is it spiritual clutter?  Is it physical clutter?  Is it clutter that you've been unwilling to clean out up until now? What are you missing out on because of the clutter that is blocking your path?  Get rid of it!  Rework things, and clean out!  A time to gain, And a time to lose; A time to keep, And a time to throw away- Ecclesiastes 3:6. 

For more Motivate Me Monday, visit Sarah at The Fifth Street Palace

5 comments:

Jo March 10, 2010 at 5:39 PM  

Hi, Mel -- Jo here just stopping by to thank you for visiting me on my SITS day last Friday.

You're the seocnd blog I read today about a Mom wanting to get organized and prioritizing her time. I think it's wonderful and really, what a fresh start to everything. To clear away all the cobwebs, so to speak. Good for you.

Peace and serenity,
~Jo
'The End Of The Rainbow: Life After Bankruptcy'
*This week is 'MS Awareness Week' -- feel free to come by and learn more!

heidi @ wonder woman wannabe March 10, 2010 at 10:17 PM  

RIGHT on! I heart de-cluttering, ALL sorts!

Love what you said about one of the reasons to de-clutter is to highlight more of what is the 'good'.

Aleta March 12, 2010 at 9:53 AM  

Loving post. I like to declutter too. I tend to do a "spring cleaning" each year, going through every closet, dresser drawers, etc. I like order :) It makes me happy.

Thanks for visiting my blog :)

JennyMac March 12, 2010 at 1:22 PM  

I am a big fan of decluttering and realize it is not a one time only project. My Hub is king of declutter. I might need a bit of work especially with sentimental things like photos, cards, etc. But I clean out my closets and drawers multiple times a year and donate to women's shelters and donate all my mags to a nonprofit near us. :)

One Photo March 13, 2010 at 8:56 AM  

Hi Mel - thank you for visiting my blog and your comments on my post.

A while ago I found myself in the exact same situation, I felt like I was rushing from one play date or kids event to another. So we slowed things down and stopped going to everything and rushing about quite as much and life was so much better. Now we have a good mix of a few hours of pre-school a week for my daughter, lunch every now and again or a meet and play with some of my close Mom friends and more time just the two of us doing things together. The time goes by so fast when they are little, I just want to enjoy every minute of it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP