Thursday, February 11, 2010

Recipe Box: Mel's Snowy Day Veggie Stew

My grandma used to make a killer vegetable soup, and I recently found a recipe in one of her cookbooks for a stew.  I don't think it was the exact one she made, but I kinda used it as a base to go off of.  My dad also makes a killer stew, his "son of a gun stew."  Oh, I love it when he makes that.  This recipe is completely my own, though, as I added things to mine just from what I can remember both my grandma and my dad adding, with a few of my own touches.  I hope you enjoy!

Mel's Snowy Day Veggie Stew

1 lb. of stew meat, browned well
46 oz. bottle of V8 Juice (my dad's idea from his stew)
1 can Italian diced tomatoes
Handful chopped carrots
3 potatoes, chopped
1 bag mixed vegetables
1/2 bag corn
1/2 onion (med. to large)
2 stalks celery, chopped
Dash of marjoram- Not too much as it could be overpowering.
Dash of thyme- Not too much, as it could be overpowering, as well.
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 bay leaf

Take all of these ingredients, and add them to crockpot or slow cooker.  It will fill your slow cooker up.  Stir together, and let simmer all afternoon.  It'll fill your house with a wonderful snowy day coziness.  (Hint: I made Oatmeal Bread in the breadmaker to go with this, and the meal was complete.)  

I hope your family enjoys!  This is now a family favorite around here.

8 comments:

D February 11, 2010 at 6:06 AM  

Hi Mel,

Following from MBc
Deanna
http://www.moneysavingmomcanada.com/

Deanna February 11, 2010 at 6:06 AM  

Hi Mel,

Following from MBc
Deanna
http://www.moneysavingmomcanada.com/

Nina Law February 11, 2010 at 7:02 AM  

There was nothing better than Grandma's vegetable soup. Dad't stew comes mighty close. My mouth waters just thinking about it.

Small Burst February 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

This is perfect for our snowy days!

yonca February 11, 2010 at 4:56 PM  

Looks and sound delicious! Thanks for the follow. I'm following back now:)I also follow on Face Book :)

Cindy Bultema February 11, 2010 at 7:18 PM  

Wow, this sounds (and looks) delicious! Can't wait to give it a try!! Thanks for sharing!!
Have a GREAT weekend!
Warmly,
Cindy :)

More than a Mom February 12, 2010 at 3:32 PM  

Oooooh. I LOVE trying out new recipes, especially ones that seem this easy. Sounds delish!

New follower from MBC.

http://www.more-than-a-mommy.blogspot.com

confused homemaker February 14, 2010 at 1:16 PM  

Definitely a good recipe for a cold winter day. We do a lot of veggie style soups during Lent & on Fridays during the rest of the year.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP