Thursday, January 21, 2010

TOS Crew: Worship Guitar for Kids


When I was a teenager, I wanted so badly to learn how to play the guitar.  I got myself a book, and I made several attempts at it, but it just never came together for me.  Now, though, I have the opportunity to teach Jacob how to play, and I can learn right along with him, using Jean Welles' Worship Guitar Class for Kids, Volume 1. 


I actually received Jean's e-book to go along with online streaming videos for beginner lessons.  The book goes through all of the different lessons in written form, so that Jacob can read what Jean is talking about, also visually looking at the different notes, chord charts, and the written music that he will be learning.  It helps to reinforce what he is learning through the videos.  The videos feature Jean Welles, who has a guitar in hand, teaching your student different aspects to the guitar, as well as how to play.  Throughout the videos, she has the help of a 7 year old student, Abigail, who is also learning how to play the guitar.  There are 9 lesson videos, as well as 9 practice session videos.  The practice sessions run for about 5 minutes each, and she begins each one with prayer. 


Throughout the lessons, Jacob can learn how to tune his guitar, the parts of the guitar, how to catch the rhythm (using arm swings for illustration), notes and their values, how to read chord charts, how to thumb strum, different chords and how to play them on the guitar, and even extras for songs, such as a bass run.  

He'll also play several worship songs, some of which include Thank You Father, I Will Trust You, This Little Light of Mine, I Worship You Lord, etc.  I love the worship aspect to this series because not only can Jacob learn how to play the guitar, but he can worship God right along with the lessons.  He's even encouraged to try making up his own verses throughout. 


Jean recommends this series for ages 5 and up, and she recommends spending this time with your child each day, helping him as he goes along in the lessons, even offering praise.  She gives a practice box at the end of every lesson, in which she recommends the student practicing for 5-10 minutes each day and then gives an outline of what he should practice for the week.  She also provides practice charts, as well as suggestions on how to use them to motivate and encourage your child.  

I look forward to using this more with Jacob, as he has been asking for a while now to learn to play the guitar.  Lesson prices being what they are, though, we had refrained, especially in light of him doing Tae Kwon Do right now, but now we have this opportunity to learn right here, in the comfort of our own home.  I'm pretty excited about this.  

You too can either learn how to play or teach your kids how to play.  You can purchase the Guitar Worship Class for Kids online streaming videos for $28, which honestly, is quite reasonable, given the cost of lessons; 9 lessons for $28 is a true bargain, in my opinion.  If you'd rather have the DVD, you can purchase it for $29.97, or you can get both the DVD and access to the online lessons for $33.  You can also purchase other videos/DVDs from Jean, such as How To Master Finger Picking, "Be Thou My Vision" Arrangements, or Christmas Songs and Solos.   You can see more of what Jean Welles has to offer on her website, Worship Guitar Class.

To read more reviews, check out the TOS Homeschool Crew blog.

(Disclosure: I received the Worship Guitar Class for Kids, Volume 1, free of charge, from Jean Welles, in association with the TOS Homeschool Crew.)   

2 comments:

dawn January 21, 2010 at 7:23 AM  

Thanks for stopping by my blog.
I had to let you know that the cookies look great and I think I will have to try them... there goes my healthy eating! Just Kidding:)
I did want to thank you for posting about the Worship Guitar Class. My 12 year old daughter is trying to teach herself guitar and think this might do the trick... and maybe help keep her focused on the things in life that really matter...

Missy January 22, 2010 at 12:22 AM  

Thanks for posting this. My son has had a guitar for a little over a year and I don't know how to play and we can't afford lessons, so it has just been sitting for a long time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP