Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Voices of the Faithful: Book 2


Voices of the Faithful: Book 2 is not your average devotional book.  It is a devotional book created by Beth Moore and Kim P. Davis.  It is a devotional that is full of stories and devotionals written by actual missionaries who have been or are on the field.  That's actually what drew me to this book in the first place; missions is very close to my heart.


Each month, the devotions focus on a certain aspect of Christianity.  For instance, January is all about prayer.  October is about adversity and triumph over that; December is about hope.  I read some of these devotionals for my daily personal time, and it just encouraged my heart.  Some of the excerpts are tidbits from the missionaries' work and lives, things they have been through or learned; other excerpts are spiritual lessons/devotionals written by the missionaries.  One devotional from September's section on Lessons From the Young was about a missionary's personal struggle to just surrender her children to the Lord, when she and her husband were called to the mission field.  Her children had no fear and no qualms about accepting the people they were ministering to, even though she herself had fear for her children, and through an episode one day, she was able to hear God speak to her heart that they were going to be fine.  This is one thing that sometimes, we don't really give a lot of thought to.  Missionaries give up so much when they leave home, especially if they have children.  They leave the relative comfort and safety of their own home to take the Gospel where God has called them to go.....


This book is priced at $13.59 on Amazon.  I do recommend this devotional, as it spoke to my heart, and I'm looking forward to keeping it on my bookshelf for a long time to come....it's something that I can come back to when I need encouragement or just need to refocus my thinking.


For more reviews, you can check out Thomas Nelson.


(Disclosure: I was provided with this free book by Thomas Nelson.)

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP