Monday, October 5, 2009

Motivate Me Monday: Trusting God Through the Tough Times

Fifth Street Palace
It's so hard, not just as a mom, but as a human being, to trust God when all else around seems to be crumbling. At least it is for me. It's easy for me to trust Him when things are going great, and we are on top of the mountain....but girl, when that valley hits, let me tell ya, it's not so easy then. All my life I have leaned on the verses from Proverbs 3:5,6- Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Oh sure, I have used that as a life verse at times, but I can honestly say that I have also struggled with that same trust my whole life.

When we've been up on the mountain top, it's been easy to look around and just feel so blessed and trust Him because during that time, we are relieved of the many life pressures that assault us during the valley times. Not to say that life is necessarily easy during the mountain times, but it's just less stress/pressure. We've been through our share of valleys, though. Right now is a bit of a valley for us. Spiritually and emotionally, it's been one of the best times of my life....and I can say for Dan too. We have finally found a church home, we are making friends, our kids are growing and learning, and we are just happy where we are at. We're content.....At the same time, we're also going through a bit of a crunch, financially. With Dan trying to start up a new shop, it's been tight, and sometimes we have to get the bare bones at the grocery store. We are learning to budget more wisely, and we're doing ok; God is providing for us. But it feels like a bit of a valley right now, in the financial realm. Money does not make the person, I know, but it pays the bills....as we all know.:)

God totally slapped me on the hand this week, though. He honestly woke me up from what felt like a valley....and He turned my day into a mountain top.....I have to tell you this story because I'm just amazed at His provision and His love and His mercy to us, even when we are tempted to doubt....He's still there, even in the smallest of things. I went to make our grocery list and menu for the next week; it was my dreaded chore of the day. As I pulled up the grocery store ads online, I began planning out the menu, according to what was on sale, and at the same time I started to fill out the grocery list. As I realized things we were totally out of (our kitchen was depleted pretty badly), I started looking more closely at what was on sale, and just about everything on my list was in the ads....even diapers were on sale. I really couldn't believe it when I saw that milk was on sale. I just kept sifting through, and everything God knew we were out of, He was showing me His way of providing for our family......I think my mouth just dropped to the floor. When I was doubting, wondering how I could get what we needed, He gave me that slap on the hand and showed me Who He is....He is the Great Provider. He does care about even the little things in our lives.

It was just encouraging to realize that even when I doubt, no matter the circumstance, He is there....all I have to do is trust and lean into Him, instead of questioning and wondering. Trusting God through the tough times is what's going to build character in me, and it's what's going to build character in you. It's those refining fires during those valley times that will help us to grow.

For more Motivate Me Monday, link up with The Fifth Street Palace.

Love,

2 comments:

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart October 5, 2009 at 5:24 AM  

I love it when the Lord shows us how much He cares about even the smallest details of our lives, like grocery shopping!!

Big hugs to you my friend.
Kim

Goat Gal October 5, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

It's so wonderful when God shows us His work in the small areas of our lives. I mean when he really opens our eyes and we actually see it.

I had an experience like that when i was running on Friday. I get all emotional thinking about it still.

Thanks for writing this and linking up with me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP