Thursday, October 15, 2009

Babysteps

Tonight, I did something that a year ago, I would have sworn I would never do. I sang alone in front of someone....if you know me, you know how big that truly is. LOL I have to tell you, though, that joining the choir has been the best thing; I can't imagine not singing with the choir now. I'm getting to know the people around me and loving every single minute of it. We laugh, we talk, we sing, and it's almost like a second family....In fact, we get to do this on Sunday; it's been so much fun practicing it; it goes along with the song we're singing....




About a month ago, though, when I was called up to the front of the choir (which consists of somewhere around 200 members) to answer the questions for the get to know me interview with Jeff, our choir director, it was a train wreck. I was so incredibly nervous that I had to look at my paper to remember who my family even was....LOL. Believe me, I will never live that down....that was quite the laugh for everyone, since Jeff had to make sure to have some fun with that one. Anyway, after that whole ordeal, I knew that I had a fear that needed conquering. I could just feel God telling me I needed to stretch beyond my comfort zone and let Him use me. So, I decided, after much thought (a LOT of thought) to email Jeff and tell him. Well, I got a reply back that he needed me to come in early and sing for him. The sweat started pouring, as nerves kicked in.:)


So, tonight was the night.  Boy, was I nervous. Beforehand, I had to run all the way downstairs and back because I'd forgotten something in the car, so I was out of breath, to boot. The whole time I was singing, I could just feel something inside me saying to give it my all, sing out, belt it out.....so I did. And, contrary to my fears that I might be one of those American Idol singers who can't hear themselves singing, I was told that I have a good voice and good pitch. I get to start out maybe singing with a mixed group or on the praise team and work my way up! Woohoo! I'm so excited! Yeah, there was only one other person in the room, but that was a HUGE deal....whew! Now on to the next babystep.....I'm so ready!

4 comments:

Goat Gal October 15, 2009 at 1:14 AM  

Bravo Mel! That would be a huge hurdle for me.

Anonymous October 15, 2009 at 5:41 AM  

Good for you!

Nina October 15, 2009 at 7:02 AM  

I am so proud of you!!!!!!

Rose Casell October 15, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

I'm so proud of you! I wondered how it went! Yay!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP