Monday, July 27, 2009

Motivate Me Monday- Be the Advocate

After dealing with a situation for a couple of weeks now with our son Jacob, I just have to remind all mothers to be the advocates for your children. I can't discuss every detail right now; we're waiting until we can get a definitive diagnosis with Jacob, but I would just like to share a little bit of what has been going on. This is quite personal, so I hesitate in sharing everything just yet. Jacob had been sick a couple of weeks ago, and we just didn't realize how sick he was; he basically had a rash and a low-grade fever.....we ended up not taking him to the doctor, but overnight he changed, and he has not been our same Jacob. Oh, sure, he is still our boy, and there are times where we can see the old Jacob in there, but he's struggling with some pretty heavy things right now. Anyway, I just had this gut feeling that I needed to do something, that something wasn't right....you know, that instinctive feeling we mothers get when we know something is definitely wrong with our children. I did some research (hours of research, in fact), and I found what I truly believe with all my heart is wrong with Jacob. All of the symptoms fit Jacob down to the last details. We ended up taking him to a local walk-in clinic here (definitely don't recommend), and the doctor basically brushed us off as crazy parents....what would we, as outsiders to the medical profession, know (although I am a nurse, but still not a doctor)? I mean, we've only raised Jacob for 7 1/2 years now. Seriously, what could we know? (Only a wee bit of bitterness there).

Anyway, in dealing with that doctor, I cannot explain the feelings that rose up in me; it was as if the Mama Bear in me was being unleashed, and she was going to fight for her child, no matter what it took to get someone to listen. We ended up calling a friend of Dan's, who is married to one of the doctors where we used to take the kids, where we lived before. Dan was able to talk to his wife, the doctor, and she has actually seen cases of this before. I can't even begin to explain the relief that washed over us. Finally, someone was listening to us. She wants Jacob in there ASAP tomorrow morning for tests and not sure what else. She also told us that when you go to the doctor nowadays, you have to do what it takes for that doctor to listen to you, whether you have to stomp your feet or carry a baseball bat! So, I'm just writing all of this to emphasize how important it is for you to listen to your Mommy-gut; follow those instincts, you know, those instincts that won't leave you alone until you've done something about them. Those instincts are there for a reason....and if you don't fight for your child, who else will? Do the research; be willing to take a stand when necessary. Carry that baseball bat with you wherever you go! After all, we are all the "Mamas in the trenches," fighting the battle for our kids and families, day in and day out.

As we find out more from the doctors, I will be writing more in the days to come....especially, since I know there are other parents out there whose children are having these same problems, and their doctors may have misdiagnosed them.....so stay tuned.

For more Motivate Me Monday, link up with Composing Hallelujahs.

4 comments:

Marina@EBMR July 27, 2009 at 5:18 PM  

I hope all will settle soon. Thank God for leading you in the right direction and for being sensitive!

The Peacock Pearl July 27, 2009 at 6:44 PM  

the most vivid "advocate moment" i've had with my son was when he was just under 2years. the nurse on the phone actually asked me if he had stayed up late and was just really tired. she didn't believe me that it wasn't normal for him to skip breakfast, down three sippies worth of water and juice and then passout on the couch half way through the third with it still in his mouth. so i took him to the emergency room and there we found it was pneumonia.

Goat Gal July 27, 2009 at 6:51 PM  

Wow! I am impressed with the candidness of your friend the doctor about her fellow colleagues. I hope things get much much better very soon.

Penny July 27, 2009 at 8:18 PM  

YOU GO GIRL! God gave mamas a gut instinct for a reason! And I'm prayin' that your son is okay.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP