Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Devotions Today

This morning, getting out of bed was very hard. The dreariness of the sky outside, and my attitude really made it very difficult....but alas, I made it, a little later than the alarm clock, but still made it. I was determined to read my Bible and have some prayer time when I first came out (everyone else was still asleep), so I sat down, and lately, I've been opening up my Bible and just reading wherever it takes me. Well, this morning, God was here; I felt God this morning as I read Scriptures that addressed exactly what I've been going through lately. I can't expand on everything, but the last few days I've been feeling rather down. The passage I opened to was Zechariah this morning; I read my chapter, then I flipped over to the nearest devotional, which read, "One-Woman Juggler." The verse for it was Zechariah 4:6, NIV- "So he said to me, This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the LORD Almighty."
Hmmmm....not by my might or power, by by the Spirit Who lives within me....how many days, weeks, months even have I been trying to do everything that is within "my power?" How many times have I told the Lord (not really in words, but in deeds) that I can do it myself, I don't need help. I haven't really said those words, but I haven't necessarily given control of my days over to Him either, at least not every single day and every single moment.
Then, I flipped over to Ecclesiastes 2:17-26, NIV-
17 So I hated life, because the work that is done under the sun was grievous to me. All of it is meaningless, a chasing after the wind. 18 I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. 19 And who knows whether he will be a wise man or a fool? Yet he will have control over all the work into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. This too is meaningless. 20 So my heart began to despair over all my toilsome labor under the sun. 21 For a man may do his work with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then he must leave all he owns to someone who has not worked for it. This too is meaningless and a great misfortune. 22 What does a man get for all the toil and anxious striving with which he labors under the sun? 23 All his days his work is pain and grief; even at night his mind does not rest. This too is meaningless.
24 A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, 25 for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment? 26 To the man who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness, but to the sinner he gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.
Wow, was this not how I've been feeling some days, when there is so much to do, and I feel like I'm going insane trying to get it all accomplished? Maybe I've taken too much on? Or could it be, in the midst of all my complaining and strife, that I haven't taken too much on, but that I have forgotten to turn it all over to the One who knows all and is in all? The One who cares about even the most minute details of my day....
Hope this inspires even just one person the way it has inspired me today.

1 comments:

Jennifer June 16, 2009 at 10:09 PM  

Great devotions! thanks for sharing! It is hard sometimes when we feel like we can do it all! It's so nice when we realize we can't and we need the Lord's help. Thanks so much for the spiritual uplifting!

I found your beautiful blog through SITS! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP