Sunday, May 24, 2009

Must See Movie- Taken

Usually, I'm not a huge fan of in-your-face, action movies, but this one was different for me. I wasn't sure how I would like it, but after seeing it, it's raised a whole new awareness of something that I knew existed, but I chose to push it to the back of my mind before. It's something none of us can even imagine, but it's something that we need to stand up and deal with; we need to take action! Taken was a movie basically about the human trafficking of young women. Liam Neeson, who is the perfect fit for this part, plays the father, who had done intelligence/security work in the past but was now trying to retire. It ends up that his daughter is taken, wherein he gives the phone threat that every man (even women) would want to give if their daughter/son was taken....truly a phone call not to be forgotten. It turns out that he has a 96 hour window in which to find his daughter and rescue her, or he may never see her again. She has been kidnapped to be sold as a prostitute, where they first get the girls addicted to drugs, so they are dependent on their captors.



Truly, this movie spoke to me. I found myself getting angrier and angrier as it went on, knowing that this stuff does exist, and it is happening at this very moment. What are we doing about it? This is the first movie that I actually wanted to see the bad guys dead, literally dead, because it angered me so much that a fellow human (who might also be a father themselves and have a young daughter at home; or who might be a person in authority, deemed to be respectable) could take a young woman, who had a life, who had a family that probably loved her very much, who had a promise of a bright future, and just turn that young woman into a slave, as if she were a dog and to parade her and sell her as if she were a commodity. It made me just livid with anger, and it's something I feel so passionately about.

If you haven't seen Taken, I encourage you to see it, of course, without your kids. It's really not suitable for children. If not because I said so, watch it for your kids; watch it for all of those kids/teenagers/young adults out there who are right now being forced to live a life of slavery. We think this would never happen to our own, but in fact, if we don't stand up and do something, it could be at our very doorstep before we know it.

I've always had a passion for reaching out to women/young women, and I plan on turning that passion into action by really researching this issue more and possibly getting involved in something....not sure what yet, but I will be posting about this, as I have found a new passion for this subject, a subject we can't afford to ignore and push to the backs of our minds any longer.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP