Friday, May 8, 2009

Don't Get Discouraged!

morning person Pictures, Images and Photos

This is what I'm telling myself right now, "Don't get discouraged!" I am two weeks into my more aggressive weight loss/exercise routines with my friend, Nancy, who by the way, lives in Ohio, but we are keeping this up long-distance. This week, I gained back two pounds. Now, I know that I'm building muscle because I'm so sore in places that I never even knew existed on my body....and my pants are becoming a little looser....so why did I gain back two pounds? Could it be that my body is building muscle right now; could it be that I haven't honestly been drinking enough water; or could it be that I've been limiting my calories so intensely that maybe it's been a bit too much in the beginning? See, there go my perfectionistic tendencies again; I

stepford wives Pictures, Images and Photos

think in my head, "If I'm going to lose weight, then I have to go all out; I have to do this and watch that and not eat that and work out here and blah blah blah blah blah, until I feel like I'm just going in circles, and my head is spinning. Have you ever been to this point? Well, that's where I'm at right now. I'm trying to force myself to look at the bigger picture.....what do I really want? Sure, I want to lose weight and look smokin' great in my clothes....but what I want most of all is to be a healthy mom to my kids. That's what I most want. In order to get from where I'm at now to the picture I have in my head of that healthy mom, I have to listen to my body, which has been telling me to drink more water, eat when I'm hungry, not starve myself because it may be 100 calories more than I should have, maybe give in to one treat every day instead of just binging on them on the weekends (oh yeah, been there done that last weekend). I have to find that "balance" in my life (which reminds me of the last episode of The Biggest Loser).

Balance. Pictures, Images and Photos

So, that's where I'm at right now, just telling myself not to get discouraged, to keep on keeping on. It's such a great feeling after a workout, that feeling of having sweated, having pushed through, having worked every muscle and strained to keep going. I feel on top of the world after working out....how about you? Are you listening to your body? Or are you a "reforming" perfectionist like me? Take my advice: don't give up; keep going....but find that middle ground that's just right for you....you can do it!

5 comments:

Lisa May 8, 2009 at 3:28 PM  

YOU ARE A SMART LADY.

HUGS FROM MAINE

Mrs. Jane Doe May 8, 2009 at 11:02 PM  

Listening to your body is a very smart thing to do! Good for you!

What kind of diet are you following? It could be that you are not matching the needs of the out with what's coming in. When we do that - our body will produce what it needs and that is the stuff that is hardest to get rid of.

I used to teach aerobics and I have found that although aerobic activity (the moving around kind) is good but found that if I just walk where I need to go at a fast pace it does just as well and less damage to my knees and back.

I workout mainly on static type exercises where I focus on my legs or arms or abs - floor routines. I like to walk in the evenings after dinner if I can. Foods I eat are real or as real as I can - butter, real cheese and milk not lite or low fat. The trick there is that you can eat that with moderation but the wonderful thing about real fat is it fills you up and keeps you satisfied longer.

I don't count calories and instead of measuring my weight on the scale I measure myself by inches. I eat 3 meals a day with a bite of chocolate with my coffee (around 4 pm) to help tied me over until dinner time.

One thing I have found to help me drop a dress size is quit drinking any and all kinds of sodas. I drink mineral water instead and really...you don't need to drink all that water people tell you to. You should be getting your daily requirement in the foods you eat during the day. Eat a salad, after your meal (this helps with digestion - the body breaks down veggies quicker than proteins) and cute your portions in half. Eat slowly and enjoy the taste of your food. This is the hardest part for so many. We are used to eating on the run or standing up.

Try to get plenty of sleep. When we don't get enough our bodies are trying to continually do a balance act and most of the times we don't help with not eating properly and getting enough rest.

I could go on but I think I have gone on enough. ;O)

Please don't get discouraged. You are in the toughest stage right now. It is a plateau of sorts that we all reach and have to figure out what we need to do to get past it. You will figure it out and by listening to your body - you are heading in the right direction!

xo

Mel at Adventures of Mel May 8, 2009 at 11:15 PM  

Wow, so much great information....thank you! I had never thought about that with the lite products....I've been buying lite sour cream, 2% milk, you name it....moderation is definitely key; I so agree. I am doing a floor toning routine similar to what yours sounds like 3 days a week right now; I just started it this week....I actually really love it. Aerobics is hard because I basically have no rhythm.:) It's hard to keep up with the videos. Thank you so much....I will have to share this with Nancy too.

Mel at Adventures of Mel May 8, 2009 at 11:19 PM  

I'm thinking instead of my normal aerobics the other 3 days, I may try walking or even jogging....I've been trying videos. Anyway....it really helps too having a friend to stay and keep accountable to. Ok, off to bed with me.

Mrs. Jane Doe May 9, 2009 at 9:59 AM  

I find the videos get very boring after awhile and many of the instructors do not give you enough heads up before changing the move on you - hate that! ;O) I tried to be very careful of that.

With your floor exercises you can put on your favorite song and use the beat to help you. Most songs are 2 1/2 to 3 minutes long which is long enough to fatigue the muscle area you are working on. This makes the exercise a bit more fun and helps you get through it knowing there will be an end to the song. ;O)

Walking is such great exercise and doesn't do damage to your knees or back. But...it is also an opportunity to be outside and think. I try to find parks that the children and the dogs can go to and we picnic and walk around. I love doing this because it doesn't seem like exercise at all - we are just enjoying being together.

Does your friend live close by that you can walk together? Where we used to live, we had a group of ladies who would walk around the neighborhood - I don't have that here.

Most people here will ask if I walked in a quizzical kind of way. I find this funny because it is just a block or two to where I need to be. We have one couple that lives right behind the church we attend ...they drive. People love to be seen in their I suppose. :o)

Enjoy your walks!

xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP