Tuesday, March 31, 2009

TMTT- Grandma's Chocolate Cookies

In honor of my grandma, I thought I'd share her recipe for chocolate cookies, a huge family favorite.


Chocolate Cookies

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup sweet milk
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 level Tbsp. cocoa
1/2 tsp salt

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla, mixing well. Sift all dry ingredients together. Stir into creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. If batter is too thin, you may add more flour. Drop from teaspoons on well greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. Put together with good icing.

My great grandma, who came to Missouri by covered wagon in 1905, used a cooked icing she made with: 1 cup sugar, 1 or 2 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, dash of salt, and enough cream to set this mixture. Cook to soft ball stage and ice cookies on underside, putting together two cookies like a sandwich. Work quickly as this icing sets up fast. I use a basic powdered sugar recipe with powdered sugar, butter or margarine, vanilla, milk, and a little bit of almond flavoring. Makes approximately 2 to 3 dozen cookies. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Samantha March 31, 2009 at 8:50 AM  

Such a sweet post, I love chocolate chip cookies, one of my childhood favorites, thanks so much for the yummy recipe !

Live.Love.Eat March 31, 2009 at 10:46 AM  

Sweet!!!!!!

Maybe a silly question but what is sweet milk?

Mel at Adventures of Mel March 31, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

Actually, sweet milk is just regular milk; that's just what my grandma called it, I guess.:)

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace March 31, 2009 at 4:28 PM  

I know it is good, because a grandma made it!!! Thanks for sharing such a personal recipe! Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP