Friday, March 20, 2009

Frugal Fridays- Spring Time Is Here!

Spring time is here, and it's that time of the year now for starting our seeds and thinking of what all we want to have in our garden. Whether you choose to plant a huge garden, or whether you choose to plant in containers, or even if you choose to just plant a few things in your flower bed, having your own fresh veggies, fruits, and herbs can really save so much money, and it can be healthier for your family, especially if you choose to not use all of the pesticides so readily available today. I am currently getting a small order together from The Seed Savers Exchange. Their prices are really not too expensive, and they sell a lot of organic and heirloom varities, which really interests me. Now, I'm not sure if I'll have a huge garden; I may just have some containers, but I hope to learn how to can a couple of things this summer. Canning can also save a lot of money, especially in these uncertain times with the grocery prices going up and up and up. If you want to learn how to can, here is another great blog, The Simple Woman; Peggy has a whole section on learning how to can, filled with great tips and how-tos and encouragement. I'm excited to see what I can do.


Lastly, on the news this morning, I heard something interesting and actually encouraging for once, and I'm kind of excited that this is happening. First Lady Michelle Obama is breaking ground today on a garden on the South Lawn of the White House. This garden will provide fresh veggies and fruits and herbs to the White House kitchen. The exciting part to me is that local school children will be helping and working in this garden, learning the skills it takes to raise a garden. What a great resource and opportunity for learning. This could help encourage others in bigger cities to get out there into their communities, and start a community garden! Now, that's being frugal and green all at the same time! Happy Spring, everyone!

For more Frugal Fridays, link up with Life As Mom!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP