Sunday, March 29, 2009

Butterscotch and Psalm 23

Today was a day filled with many emotions....it started out with my Aunt Nancy calling this morning, letting us know that my grandma might pass away. So, we got up, got dressed, and headed to the nursing home. That is where we spent the majority of our day. After we had gotten there, my Aunt Betty and Uncle Wilbur came, and with them they carried a Bible. Grandma, up to that point, had been unresponsive, but as Uncle Wilbur got down on his knees next to her and talked to her, very soothingly and tenderly, she started to respond, ever so little. He told her that he knew her favorite Scripture was Psalm 23, and as he did so, he started to break down himself in tears. He continued, though, and asked if she would like for one of us to read it to her. By this time, we were all fighting back tears, as she let out a weak sort of moan, which we took for yes. Cindy, my cousin, was the only one in the room who could manage to read it, and you know, Grandma was just a bit more responsive after that. She had a few responsive moments today, but for the most part, she is still not doing well. That is a moment, though, that I will never forget.

As I left the nursing home to go with Dan and the boys to get something to eat, I started reliving memories....the town we drove through brought back many special moments with Grandma, and one of those was how she used to load me in the car and head to Dairy Queen....the one thing I always wanted was a butterscotch milkshake. So, today, in honor of those special moments with Grandma, I had a butterscotch milkshake....(ok, so I had two, one later on the way to Mom and Dad's house). Isn't it funny, though, how just a sip of something, or even a drive down Main Street can just trigger so many memories that were hidden away, tucked into the recesses of our minds? It was amazing, and I just hope that somehow, I can trigger more memories in the coming weeks.

I love you, Grandma.

1 comments:

Jenn March 31, 2009 at 11:49 AM  

I"m so, so sorry! Praying for ya.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP