Tuesday, February 3, 2009

GratiTuesday

Today, I got to thinking about things that I am so thankful for, and I thought of something that we oftentimes just simply take for granted. They are four things that are integral to everything we do. They are four things that we use every day but often fail to thank God for. They are four things that were wonderfully and beautifully made by a loving Creator Who absolutely has all of our best interests at heart. Today, I am thankful and grateful to have my arms and legs. I'm thankful that I can feel my arms around my husband, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to hold my children. I'm thankful for my hands that can clean and work and prepare food and even play. I'm so thankful for my fingers and hands that can type this post right now. I'm so thankful for two feet that get me to where I need to be, that can run to my children's cries, that can feel so relaxed when I put them up after a long, hard day.

A long time ago, I was watching Oprah (yes, I watch Oprah:)), and she had a woman on there by the name of Monica Jorge. Maybe you've heard of her. Oprah called her a "Mother Warrior." And that she is. Very shortly after giving birth by a C-section in August of 2007, she came down with a flesh-eating bacteria that required all four limbs to be amputated, along with losing several other organs. All of this after having a baby that needs constant care and attention. It is amazing that she even survived this whole ordeal, but what I couldn't imagine as I watched her and listened to her was that she could have such a "spirit" of survival after enduring such a trauma. I don't know if I could have such a spirit. She is truly an amazing person. Simple household tasks that would have taken only minutes before, now take hours.

So, today, I'm grateful that I still have my arms and legs. I'm grateful that God has seen fit to bless me in such a way, knowing that there are countless others out there who do not have the same blessings that I do. Sometimes, I get to feeling sorry for myself, and being grateful requires looking beyond myself and seeing others' pain and reaching out, all the while thanking God.

So, for today, thank God that you can cook that meal and wipe up that spill and change that dirty diaper. Thank him that you can click that mouse to read this post.:) Have a wonderful day!

For more GratiTuesday, or if you'd like to participate, check out Heavenly Homemakers.

3 comments:

Lisa February 3, 2009 at 4:16 PM  

I WATCH OPRAH TOO, AND ALWAYS TAKE HER WITH A GRAIN OR 5 OF SALT. THANKS FOR REMINDING ME TO ALWAYS BE GRATEFUL. HUGS FROM MAINE

http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

Anonymous February 3, 2009 at 5:11 PM  

I saw that episode...It made me cry...but people who DO NOT give up inspire me and cause me to be thankful - once I realize I need to be thankful and all that I have!
thanks for the post!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet February 3, 2009 at 6:22 PM  

Defintely something that is taken for granted. I bet it was inspiring to watch. We are definitely blessed!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP