Friday, February 6, 2009

Frugal Fridays- Homemade Vanilla

Jacob and I have been reading Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder every day in school. He is really enjoying it, and I have to say I am too; there is so much to learn from the way they lived back then. They had to make so many things themselves, or they just didn't have it. For instance, I read the other day how Almanzo's mother made her own Wintergreen Flavoring by taking wintergreen leaves and putting them into a bottle and then filling that bottle with whiskey and letting it set. Then she had that flavoring for different baking projects.

Recently, I had also read about making your own vanilla by taking vanilla beans and putting them into a bottle of vodka. You can read about a couple of different ways of making vanilla on Tipnut.

I know that, as Christians, we don't want to buy alcohol, but this could be a frugal way to become just a wee bit more self-sufficient. And who knows, we may figure out a way to make the best flavorings that outdo even the best brands in the stores! I'm kind of excited to see what other kinds of flavorings I could make on my own. Have a great Friday!


For more Frugal Fridays, head on over to Biblical Womanhood!

1 comments:

Lisa February 6, 2009 at 5:02 PM  

I LOVED THAT SERIES. YOUR RIGHT, SO MUCH TO LEARN.

HUGS FROM MAINE

http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP