Tuesday, November 25, 2008

True Gratitude (Pt 2 of Thanksgiving Posts)

As I write this post, I am contemplating the true meaning of thankfulness and gratitude. We are so, so blessed in this nation, but we have no idea how truly blessed we are. Most of us have beds to sleep in, food on our tables, good health, and a roof over our heads, not to mention the families and friends we love and are loved by. Even with the country and the economy in the shape that they are in, we are still truly blessed. My hope is that this post will reiterate to you how truly blessed you are and will help you to begin to readjust the way you think. Some parts of this post may be hard to hear, and some parts of the video clips may be hard to watch, but please don't turn your heads. The people in these clips are real human beings, created by God, just like you and me. You see, God created us in His image, and no matter where we are at, as human beings, and especially as children of God, we have a responsibility for each other that is so vital. So, please don't turn your heads. Yes, these things are so hard to think about, and it may cut you to the core, but we cannot and should not stop thinking and doing all we can just because it hurts. After all, Christ did not come down off of that cross, even though He had the power to do so; He stayed there and endured the pain and affliction because He loved us. Now, it's time for us to show Him how truly grateful we are. What will you do?

"At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person.Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us." -Albert Schweitzer

“For each new morning with its light,For rest and shelter of the night,For health and food, for love and friends,For everything Thy goodness sends.”-Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Silent gratitude isn't much use to anyone.” -G.B. Stern

"No one is as capable of gratitude as one who has emerged from the kingdom of night." -Elie Wiesel

These first two videos remind me of how truly blessed I am to be born where I was and to have the parents that I had. It also makes me want to hug my children. As a nurse, the AIDS crisis is so real to me, and anything we can do to ease the suffering is sorely needed. Children are also being forced every day into the life of a rebel soldier. Where is our gratitude to God when we sit back and turn our heads, only to look away?







This next video, well, it just makes the tears flow, but to any of our troops out there, THANK YOU for everything you sacrifice and give for our freedom! And thank you to the families of the troops for all of the sacrifices you have made. When I think of a soldier over there fighting, as a wife and mother, I also think of their family back home. What are they feeling right now and going through? So, thank you. I am sorry for all of the times I have taken this freedom for granted. You are true heroes!



As for this last video, I had actually seen it on Oprah a couple weeks ago, and it truly touched my heart. Grab the tissues, if you haven't already because you will need them, but please don't let the sadness let stop you from watching this video. Be grateful for your kids and the many blessings they have brought into your life. Give them hugs, and tell them you love them.




So, now it's your turn. Are you truly grateful, or are you just skating through life, taking everything you have been given for granted? What will you do?

1 comments:

Nancy Irby November 26, 2008 at 12:00 PM  

We do have so much to be truly thankful for. Thank you Mel! You are on my list of things I'm thankful for to. :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP