Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I Found a Treasure

I found a treasure today....I didn't even know I had it.  Well, I knew I had it, but I had no idea what it contained or the immense pleasure it would bring me in actually looking through it.  I recently got into one of my Grandma Atkins' old cookbooks, and it had a ton of her recipes in it.  Well, I dug out the recipe box I'd kept from her, and I could not believe my eyes when I started looking through the recipes.  
I wanted to cry, I miss her so much.  As I went through, I noticed she had names on several of the recipes; some of these recipes were from people I'd known growing up, who are now gone.  They were my grandma and grandpa's close friends, like Miss Esther, Stella, Ann, etc.  I just wanted to cry because I was so excited to have found this treasure.  

I mentioned sharing my grandma's recipes on here, as she was a phenomenal cook, and she loved it just from what I can remember and from what I can tell by what she has saved in this box and throughout the cookbook.  My grandma loved, loved, loved chocolate (a trait I inherited), and there are tons of recipes for different kinds of chocolate cake (I still haven't found her Mississippi Mud Cake recipe, though).  So, inspired by the movie Julie & Julia, I'm going to take it to a deeper, more personal level, and I'm going to try one or two of these recipes every week.  I will then share that recipe on here with you, so that you can try it out for yourself and your family.  I'm so excited about this.  This is a treasure I will never let go of....I just can't describe the memories that come flooding back from this.  I could kick myself for not keeping all of her recipes she'd ripped out of magazines or written down.  When we lived in our old house, we had a mouse get into them all, and instead of keeping some of them, I felt I had to get rid of them.  I know....I am kicking myself today.  But to find this, well, it just gives me joy, and it's almost as if I can feel my grandma here with me.  Stay tuned, as we made some extra good cookies from the recipe box today and some homemade veggie stew last night; I'll be sharing.:)
Love,

4 comments:

Stacie February 9, 2010 at 5:04 PM  

Sounds like you hit the jackpot! My mom has a box like the one in the pictures. I can't wait to hear about the recipes and try them. I wish I could say I had my Grandma's recipes or memories but I didn't know my Grandma's. My Grandpa has one awesome Spaghetti sauce recipe that I know mom has.

Goat Gal February 9, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

Oh that is so exciting! What a true treasure indeed.

Turning the Clock Back February 9, 2010 at 5:36 PM  

I have my grandma's recipe for whoopie pies and I keep wanting to try them...

Diane
http://turning-the-clock-back.blogspot.com/

vivianlewis February 9, 2010 at 6:33 PM  

Following you from FFF on MBC! Come by and see me @ www.vivianlewis.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP