Thursday, January 7, 2010

This Angers Me! Vital Safety Info!

This morning while getting dressed, my ears caught the mother's voice on this piece on the Today Show....(please watch, and then read on; I'd like to hear your thoughts)


If you're not angry after watching this piece, then I don't know what would make you angry.  I am angry, not only as a human being, but as a mother.  I'm angry that this mother had to sit there being told repeatedly to calm down....and she was offered no help or advice at all!  I'm angry that the 911 operator didn't pick up the manual that each one should have with step by step instructions to walk people through the motions of CPR and child safety.  I'm angry that the city of Murphy, Texas denies any wrongdoing!  Shame on you, Murphy, Texas!  In fact shame on all of the states who don't require their 911 operators to have any kind of training.  Did you notice the list above in the video?  

Does human life mean nothing anymore?  The city tries to defend themselves, saying that they had to calm the mother down, that she needed to calm down, as if she were wrong for being upset.  What mother is going to calm down when she's holding her lifeless, still child within her arms, begging and pleading for the operator to just tell her something she can do, just to tell her the necessary steps to take to conduct CPR?!  She even asked for help....how can the operator deny this?


Ok, I'm calming down.  With that being said, I truly believe that we as moms need to step up to the plate here.  It's time for you to write your state representative, write to Congress, write to your local cities and municipalities.  It's time for a change to be made.  I believe that all 911 operators should be trained; it may not be feasible to completely train them medically, but if they at least knew basic first aid skills and CPR, it could save lives.  These people need to have background checks and references.  They are responsible for lives; sometimes it's mere seconds that count.  They need to be trained to deal with mothers and fathers who are holding their babies in their arms and just begging for some kind of advice or help.  Not only that, but for the operator in another scenario to tell the little boy who was calling in, on behalf of his collapsed mother, to hang up or he'd be in trouble....what is up with that?!  That just gives me great peace of mind with all of the 911 bits I've been teaching Jacob.  I can understand being tired of prank calls, but these operators need to be trained to assess the situation and to not dismiss so lightly what may be a true emergency.

Are you angry yet?  Channel that energy into something good, and step up....let's band together, Moms.  Mama bears defend their children....and protect them.... 


I urge all of you mothers to get CPR training; it only takes an afternoon of your time.  Learn how to perform basic first aid, in case something should happen to your children.  My heart breaks for this mother, but let this be a call to action, Moms!  If we don't change this, noone will....

(Disclosure: If you don't agree with this post, that's fine....this is simply my opinion and call to action.)

8 comments:

Unknown January 7, 2010 at 2:27 PM  

I could cry for this mother i too am upset and now more than ever want cpr classes my husband is certified but i havent been. I cant believe none of their operators are REQUIRED to get cpr training . This has got to change!!!! thanks so much for bring this to our attention!

Tammy January 7, 2010 at 2:29 PM  

Thanks for sharing...How many childen have to die before any action takes place? I am mad too!

Multiple personalities.. January 7, 2010 at 2:33 PM  

I so understand your anger and frustration with this. Our tax money pays for these services, and we should be able to rely on them without fear of hostility or failure on their part. And you're right, it's time for moms out there to take action. Thanks for sharing this! It was lovely too see you on my blog.

LadySnow January 7, 2010 at 3:08 PM  

I just cried while listening to this sad, sad story. And it angers me as well. I was trained when I was in school, but it's been so long I know it wouldn't hurt to go again.

Missy January 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM  

I am in shock and disbelief. I definitely agree with your words.

I have been trained in CPR yet I still have the manual up on the cork board because you never know what you will remember in an emergency.

MoonNStarMommy January 7, 2010 at 8:42 PM  

Being the mom of two preemies who have medical issues, both myself, and my husband are trained in CPR & First Aid and we have big magnets on our fridge that have the step by step reminders.

I saw something much like this report on Good Morning America the other day on how 911 operators either were rude, or ignored, and various other stuff - how one woman called because she was afraid her boyfriend or husband was going to stab her to death and they didn't listen, and then she was stabbed to death. It's outrageous that the one life line we turn to in crisis is flawed like that when it shouldn't be.

I have called 911 twice in my life, once when my oldest was a three, I remember it was the night he got chicken pox, and as we were leaving for the ER, the house down the street was on fire. I was sorta rudely told that others had already called it in. Then I called 911 again when my ex husband was trying to break into my locked house at 1am and was scaring my kids to death. I lived next to a bar at the time, and I had a feeling it was him, but I couldn't be sure.

I'm rather upset that WI is one of those states ... but my husband has been in the offices of our local 911 dispatchers and says they are excellent (now)

That video just saddens me to no end. She was begging, BEGGING for instructions. And who are they to say that CPR wouldn't have helped! 4 minutes PLUS that child got no help and that COULD have made the difference, I don't care what they say.

Busymomsteph January 7, 2010 at 8:50 PM  

I agree with you this is rediculous. There are so many instances of undertrained and unprofessional 911 operators. I am not saying all are bad but these people are the only link that we have between disaster and help and they should be fully trained in the safety, health and phycological sides of their jobs. How many of these pieces have we seen on TV where the operators are beligerent wih the person on the phone. It is a shame. But I agree something has to be done.

Anonymous January 9, 2010 at 3:45 AM  

nice post. thanks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP