Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Best Birthday Present Ever

Today is my birthday!  For me, it's just another day in our crazy busy life....I would so love an hour at the spa (never been before, but just sounds relaxing right now), but just being with my boys is seriously enough for me.  In fact, I hear tell they're making me a cherry chip cake (Yeah, I know, I bought the cake mix and the two cans of cream cheese icing, but I'm trying to act surprised here.)LOL  Besides, this year I got the best present I could ever receive.  Although it wasn't meant as a present, to me it is something I have wanted for a very long time, and I'm so excited.


When Dan and I first visited Step Into Africa on Sunday with our small group, we picked up two folders that had info on two different children in Zambia.  Knowing that we could only sponsor one right now at this time, we had to put one back, heartbreaking though it was.  These children's faces just reminded me of my own children and how blessed we truly are.  I tell you, I wanted to pick up the whole basket and take them all....but we had to pick just one.  As I put mine back, praying that someone else would come along and pick him up, I began to look at the one my husband held.  I can't explain the love in my heart that just welled up in that moment. 


The picture was of a little girl in Zambia, about Jacob's age.  Her name is Anetty.  Anetty is blessed to live with both parents, as so many children and families in her community have been affected by the AIDS virus.  She has several siblings, and her parents struggle, as do so many families.  She helps by carrying water for the family.  I love the fact that Anetty loves to play house, and she enjoys learning foreign language.  Just little things like this helped us to get to know just a small part of Anetty's life right away.  

I'm so excited to be able to sponsor Anetty and have the privilege of watching her grow up.  As one of the World Vision staff members told me, we'll be able to watch her grow from a little girl into a young woman.  Our family will be able to write her letters and receive letters from her.  We can send her little gifts too.  From what we have learned, World Vision is very good about keeping communication lines open between sponsor and child.  I just couldn't be happier.  My heart is leaning more and more towards adoption, and to us, this is the first step.  Now I will finally be able to buy little barrettes and things that a little girl might enjoy.:)  This is honestly the best birthday gift I could ever receive.  

To be able to help in this small way with providing basic needs for Anetty, well, it's just a blessing.  I just had to share....maybe sponsoring a child is something you are considering.  You can learn how with World Vision.   I'll never forget one couple's response as they carried two folders out with them.  They too were going to choose just one, but as they discussed it over, they decided to take both children; they just couldn't bear to put one back.  The wife was crying because she just couldn't choose, and the husband spoke up and said, "It's just cable tv, right?"  Wow!  That was powerful.  It seems like such a trite thing, giving up something like that, but it's so not....now two children have the security of knowing that they are going to be provided for, in way of food, education, clothing, shelter, etc.  In leiu of eternity, just consider how this could change not only the child's life (whom you might sponsor), but your life....your family's life.  Even if you can't sponsor a child right now, you can always pray.... 

3 comments:

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart November 19, 2009 at 6:17 AM  

That is so cool. My Mom and Dad have sponsored two kids for many years now and have watched them grow up. They love getting the letters from them and sending them little things.

Oh and Happy Birthday to you my friend. What are you 23?
Hugs
Kim

Mel at Adventures of Mel November 19, 2009 at 6:35 AM  

LOL I love you for thinking so.:) Reverse those two numbers....:) Thank you for the birthday wishes....

Patti Lacy November 20, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

This is an incredible post. I'm so thrilled I found it as I checked out blogs, gleaning info for MY new blog.

With your heart for orphans and Africa, Mel, you might enjoy Scared by Tom Davis. I reviewed it at www.inkwellinspirations.blogspot.com.

And if you have time, say hi at www.pattilacy.com/blog

Blessings, and keep up the irresistible revolution.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP