Sunday, February 15, 2009

Time For A Little Honesty

Well, so far 2009 is turning out to be a year of changes and turnarounds. We are working on some things as a family; there are some Big changes in the works for us in the near future. Good changes, though; nothing to get worried about. Just pray for us that we will keep our trust in God. I am so excited!
As for me, it's time for me to get down to the nitty-gritty and just be honest. I set some goals for myself at the beginning of the year, and did I follow through with them? Not so far. So, I'm taking a step back and re-evaluating and becoming more realistic about them.
First of all, I have not been able to keep up with my One Year Bible plan; in fact, I'm so far behind, that it's become a little overwhelming to me, ok, so very overwhelming. So, I sat down this morning and decided to do a two year plan. I'm also writing in a journal things that I glean from the Scriptures, as well as things I am doing and learning each and every day. Sometimes I just expect too much of not only myself, but other people too, and this was one aspect of my life where I expected to just change habits overnight, and it didn't happen, which further overwhelmed me; but this morning as I stayed home with a sick baby, I had a chance to talk to God and set some things on a better path, one that is feasible and realistic for me and my family's situation right now. Life is so very busy, but I realized that without my time with God, my life was sorely lacking. God doesn't expect quantity so much as He expects quality. (Ruth, I'm hoping you can help keep me accountable to doing my devotions every day.)
One other thing I have "failed" in is physical fitness and exercise/proper nutrition. Yes, we've been eating good, but I eat way too many sweets, and I've just let my body go. So, I've decided to sign up for free at Livestrong.com so that I can count my calories and stay accountable to exercising and keeping myself and my family healthy. My ultimate goal in keeping myself healthy is keeping my family healthy. My boys need to be taught what "healthy" truly means, and God expects me to take care of my body, for it is His temple. I can feel the unhealthiness oozing from me; it's just evident by the squeezing tightness of my waistlines and the guilt I feel after polishing off another bag of M&M's.:) Ugh....exercise can be so boring, but my husband said last night that he would exercise with me daily, and I have a friend that I will also be going to the gym with twice weekly, Jenn.

So, I'm hoping that by posting this, I can stay accountable, and I will keep you all up to date on my journey. I have a spiritual goal to read the Bible in 2 years, as well as a physical goal to lose 35 pounds before summer.

Well, there's some honesty for you. Keepin' it real.....
Melissa

4 comments:

Nancy Irby February 15, 2009 at 7:10 PM  

I'm with you on both counts. I need accountability in my devotions and exercise. I'm too good at talking myself out of exercising with very clever excuses. As for my devotions, I have great intentions, but I let other things creep in and take priority over my time when they don't need to. Maybe we can work together on both of these? (Wouldn't it be great if we could help each other in person?)

Anonymous February 15, 2009 at 7:55 PM  

sure! I will keep you accountable if you promise to check with me once in a while to see how I am holding up!
love ya

Mel at Adventures of Mel February 15, 2009 at 8:01 PM  

I will definitely keep both of you accountable. By the way, Ruth, how are you doing? From reading your blog, it looks like you've been keeping up with your reading, but how's prayer coming? Prayer is something I sometimes struggle with. How is your prayer life? Maybe we can keep each other up to date or something every week.

Lisa February 15, 2009 at 9:08 PM  

YOUR HONESTY IS SO REFRESHING. YOU AND I SOUND VERY MUCH ALIKE.

HUGS TO YOU MY BLOG FRIEND AND REMEMBER, SIMPLICITY GOES A VERY LONG WAY EACH DAY.

http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP