Thursday, December 18, 2008

Shame On You, Walmart!

Last night, I decided to go get our grocery shopping done for the next two weeks. I headed out to go to Walmart first. When I went back to the fabric section to get material for Jacob's shepherd costume, I noticed they had signs up all over the place saying "Fabric liquidation 25% off." So, I went up to the associate, as were other women (we were all upset), and I confirmed that they are indeed getting rid of our fabric section here. I was so upset to say the least. I asked her where we were supposed to go now to get fabric. She shrugged and said she didn't know. First of all, we are in a very rural community about an hour or more away from any other stores besides the normal small-town stores. There is no other place around here to get fabric, unless you want to drive to Cabool, and their prices are out the wazoo. Even if we go to Springfield, there's Joann Fabrics, and they are just so expensive too. Second of all, this is a sewing community; many women quilt and sew for a hobby, not to mention making their clothes and household things; there are also many Mennonite women here who buy fabric. Walmart is basically "cutting off our right arm." This is just an example of what it is like: it is like taking the automotive section out of the store and saying, "Sorry, you can't fix your car anymore because we had to get rid of everything you needed." I mean, what are they thinking? This is what truly makes me livid too, and I hope it does enough to get people talking. The associate told me last night that the patterns probably aren't going to go on sale, but what they don't sell of them, they will shred. That is so shameful and so wasteful! I am truly appalled! This whole thing has me in a quandary, but my mom and I talked last night, and I've decided to try to take some sort of action. I'm going to look into starting some sort of petition in our community, just to let them know how much they are going to be hurting those of us who regularly use that section of the store. We will see what happens. Anyway, I instantly knew last night what I was going to blog about; and I wasn't the only woman back there upset; there were others too, and the poor store associate (who had nothing to do with the decision, and I felt very sorry for her), said she had been dealing with the aftermath ever since they put up the signs. Not a good decision, Walmart!

4 comments:

Anonymous December 18, 2008 at 6:22 AM  

that is terrible. I really can't stand Walmart anymore. I don't grocery shop there anymore and if I can help it I buy clothes for the kids at the mall and gifts and stuff at the mall or dollar store or online. I know my not using Walmart won't bankrupt them But I get so annoyed at their "we are the best and the lowest" claim. Actually they aren't the cheapest...just actually got in trouble for price gouging last month.
I hope you get a great number of people to petition this decision. They wouldn't get rid of their pharmacy, or garden center or automative or electronics!

Mel at Adventures of Mel December 18, 2008 at 6:26 AM  

Oh me too; I check out the ads, and only what I cnn't get at one of our smaller grocery stores here, I run to Walmart to get. I just dread and despise going to Walmart every time. I told Dan that Walmart is like punishment, but then I go to Country Mart or Richard's Brothers, and it's like a breath of fresh air because you have the small town feel, and it's not so crowded and unfriendly.

Rose Casell December 18, 2008 at 5:44 PM  

I call Walmart "the house of horrors". . .
What a bummer for you. Too bad I couldn't fund you opening a fabric store!

Jenn December 19, 2008 at 12:54 AM  

Ack! I will totally sign that petition! I saw the sale but had no idea they were getting rid of the entire department! I thought it was just a clearing out of old inventory or something!

Well, you know, it costs them so much to pay an employee to be on hand to cut fabric back there. (eye roll) What saddens me is that this will also mean the end of a job for several wonderful ladies in the fabric department.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP